Bathroom Extraction - Inline out of roof

Man of Honour
Paver just acts like a mass damper. I've got an MF100 fitted to the rafters and it doesnt carry any vibration through, I guess a lot depends on build quality. You could always just use bungee cord and suspend it.

Soldato
Paver just acts like a mass damper. I've got an MF100 fitted to the rafters and it doesnt carry any vibration through, I guess a lot depends on build quality. You could always just use bungee cord and suspend it.
yeah the mass is for dampening and the foam decouples it from the house. Suspending the fan is another way to decouple it, i'm just not sure I'd trust it not to come crashing down one day :D

Soldato
OP
Hi folks,

Me again - sorry. I have decided to try and vent out of a small gap in the eaves that I didn't realise existed.

A6lEAEk.png

Question ---

I can either hook this up to lighting circuit - but I use Hue, so the switch is typically "on". Are there other methods I should be aware of before I pull the plug on the timed unit? I don't think the Humidistat ones are too reliable are they?

Soldato
OP
Chaps,

Need to pull the trigger on this but unclear on best approach.

My light is normally always on because I use Hue. Do I just run a separate switch or is that really daft?

Soldato
I love how we can massively over spec things when given the choice.

I had the same situation as you and a pretty similar bathroom layout judging by your bathroom thread.

In the end I just went for a wall mounted extractor as I could not be bothered with the faff of an inline (our loft is boarded out, plastered and carpeted tbf and made it an even bigger job).

We've had no issues and it does the job just fine. I just crack the window slightly if I need any more ventilation.

Soldato
I've been looking to add an extractor to my bathroom as I currently don't have one and get some awful condensation (runs down the walls!) when my partner showers.

I was looking at inline with a vent over the shower, then venting out the soffit. My roof is hipped, so it sounds like a tile vent might actually be better. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to ome over the other? Aside from added cost!

I already have switched power in there too from an old electric shower, so I assume wiring it up is pretty simplistic.

Caporegime
I love how we can massively over spec things when given the choice.

I had the same situation as you and a pretty similar bathroom layout judging by your bathroom thread.

In the end I just went for a wall mounted extractor as I could not be bothered with the faff of an inline (our loft is boarded out, plastered and carpeted tbf and made it an even bigger job).

We've had no issues and it does the job just fine. I just crack the window slightly if I need any more ventilation.
Each to their own and all, but lol at inline extractors being "massively over specd" just because you couldn't be bothered with the faff of one.

They are the best solution and will clear steam and moisture far faster than the equivalent wall-mounted job.

Soldato
Each to their own and all, but lol at inline extractors being "massively over specd" just because you couldn't be bothered with the faff of one.

They are the best solution and will clear steam and moisture far faster than the equivalent wall-mounted job.

I have no doubt they are the best solution, in the same way a nice Rolls Royce would be the best solution for me on long motorway journeys.

Unless there's a specific damp issue in the room, for 99% of people a wall extractor fan or even a window will suffice.

Obviously if an inline is a relatively simple job and isn't much more work than drilling through a wall, then it makes sense. But if there's the need to get a roofer in and get complex with the venting, you have to question if it's really worth the extra outlay.

Soldato
OP
I have no doubt they are the best solution, in the same way a nice Rolls Royce would be the best solution for me on long motorway journeys.

Unless there's a specific damp issue in the room, for 99% of people a wall extractor fan or even a window will suffice.

Obviously if an inline is a relatively simple job and isn't much more work than drilling through a wall, then it makes sense. But if there's the need to get a roofer in and get complex with the venting, you have to question if it's really worth the extra outlay.
Na wall extractor or window extractor is like a horse and proper inline extractor is like a car. I don't want to bodge a bit hole into my lovely insulated house that bleeds cold air in.

The roof tiles idea is because I have a hipped roof so no wall.

I've since discovered a nugget of flat eave tho so I'm golden :)

I have hue in both bathrooms and have the extractor fans on their own feed off the lighting circuit and their own switch.
Cheers - just a separate pull cord? I just know I'm going to have to moan at everyone to use it lol. I guess it means you can use the bathroom without the fan out, when that is appropriate.

Associate
Na wall extractor or window extractor is like a horse and proper inline extractor is like a car. I don't want to bodge a bit hole into my lovely insulated house that bleeds cold air in.

The roof tiles idea is because I have a hipped roof so no wall.

I've since discovered a nugget of flat eave tho so I'm golden :)

Cheers - just a separate pull cord? I just know I'm going to have to moan at everyone to use it lol. I guess it means you can use the bathroom without the fan out, when that is appropriate.
The main bathroom fan is on it's own pull cord, and the en suite has a double switch outside, one switch for the lights and one for the fan. I didn't want the fans to be reliant on the lights being on, and the other way too, the fan being on when it wasn't needed.

The downside to the pull cords in the main bathroom is visitors keep turning the hue lights off!

Edit: tracked down the diagram I followed, near the bottom of this page https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/timed_fan_unit.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
My turn to thread hijack. Looking at the Y piece you can buy for ducting, could I vent my bathroom and kitchen extractor through the same roof outlet? We currently have a crap kitchen hood that just filters rather than extracts, and going out through the wall is not feasible as the boiler is in the way. Could I go up through the ceiling and join it to the bathroom outlet? There'd obviously be backdraught shutters on both, so should stop the kitchen venting into the bathroom.

Man of Honour
My turn to thread hijack. Looking at the Y piece you can buy for ducting, could I vent my bathroom and kitchen extractor through the same roof outlet? We currently have a crap kitchen hood that just filters rather than extracts, and going out through the wall is not feasible as the boiler is in the way. Could I go up through the ceiling and join it to the bathroom outlet? There'd obviously be backdraught shutters on both, so should stop the kitchen venting into the bathroom.
You can but there's a small chance of smell from the kitchen getting into the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom