***The Wine Thread***

taB

taB

Associate
Man. Regretting not buying the Salom at 300 when I had the chance.

Always wanted to try it but no chance I can touch it now.

I paid £50 for the first bottles I bought a long time ago. Since sold. Currently have 1 magnum 2002 in storage and not sure what to do with it...

Soldato
So I opened a bottle of Margaux 2017 earlier this week (at the weekend IIRC) and it's magically kept with the cork in getting better - it needs breather. It was the easiest bottle to get to your honour after she's packed the boxes away.. Large glass after long day in the office for once.. damn tasty! I think this is the first bottle of red since early December!

Last edited:
Soldato
I paid £50 for the first bottles I bought a long time ago. Since sold. Currently have 1 magnum 2002 in storage and not sure what to do with it...

I'll accept it as a gift :)

Finally ordered some Breaky Bottom stuff. It's been on a wishlist for ages but never got around to it and leaving the country seems like an ideal reason to stop procrastinating.

Soldato
I've been swapping between Barolo and Amarone Della valpolicella's I keep going back to the Amarone's... Various price points although the higher priced ones definitely get supped quicker...
Any online recommendations.

Soldato
After a few wine tasting recently, I've opened an account with a local independent wine merchants, with the plan of storing/buying some wine for the future. Either drinking it in years to come or selling it. Will wait and see.

Purchased a case (6 bottles) of Il Pino di Biserno Tenuta di Biserno 2021 after tasting the 2012 version at a local event. It's stored away for now - no plan for it but will wait and see. I believe the phrase is "En primeur’"

Just getting into wine a bit more, and some spare "fun" cash will be used to buy some more in the future. Like I say - might drink it, might sell it - will see in years to come

Last edited:
Associate
I've been swapping between Barolo and Amarone Della valpolicella's I keep going back to the Amarone's... Various price points although the higher priced ones definitely get supped quicker...
Any online recommendations.

£12 a bottle at Sainsbury's if you buy 6. 4.1 on Vivino.

Supermarket Barolo is always pish though.

Soldato
19 Crimes is a strange one for me. It's clever marketing for what appears to be substandard wine. The standard "Red Wine" is non descript. The "Uprising" I tried at the weekend was intensely sweet - so much that I looked up sugar content to see what extras had been added. To me its marketed towards people who don't like red wine - as strange as that sounds. Uprising was easy drinking and after half a bottle it went down well, very smooth. I see they are promoting a Snoop one too with...candied fruit pieces? :rolleyes:
It's the scary looking Victorian criminals photos puts me off buying that wine. Though your descriptions of the wine - I'm not missing much.

Underboss
Can someone recommend a good bottle of Honey mead please? Budget up to around £20-£25? It's for a present I've never drunk it before but the person has a bee keeping hobby, so it seems fitting.

Soldato
Had a case of 6 unexpectedly turn up in a lovely wooden crate.

XGuca8dl.jpg

Soldato
At work, we have some £4 wines which many customers buy. How can they drink this rubbish? How much of the £4 is on the contents?
Our reps tell us its 81p in a £5 bottle but £2.70 in a £10 bottle.

I ordered some £90 Amarone from Petersham Cellar 4 weeks ago. Stuff was supposed to be in stock. After having my emails ignored for 3 weeks they eventually refunded me after i threatened chargeback.
Shame really as looking for more trade suppliers and I also wanted to see how much better that was over a £45 or even the £10 bottle one of our suppliers has...

Last edited:
Soldato

I ordered some £90 Amarone from Petersham Cellar 4 weeks ago. Stuff was supposed to be in stock. After having my emails ignored for 3 weeks they eventually refunded me after i threatened chargeback.
Shame really as looking for more trade suppliers and I also wanted to see how much better that was over a £45 or even the £10 bottle one of our suppliers has...

£10 Amarone??

Shame that you didn't get the delivery.

Soldato

A good graphic of the cost of the components of a bottle of wine: https://www.bauduc.com/news/a-guide-to-uk-duty-hikes-on-wine/

Caporegime
When I was younger my mum used to buy wine before Xmas dinner and I remember it made me really hungry instantly.

the wines were called Niersteiner and Piersporter. Both German. You cant seem to get them in supermarkets any more, but is Riesling a suitable substitute?

Back
Top Bottom