***The Wine Thread***

Associate
Musar is a good shout, they always used to sell it on Waitrose Cellar who also have a buy 6 get 25% off offer on at the moment.

Talking of Barolo, @tomw92 you may also like Barberesco and Barbera as well which are usually cheaper - Dolcetto may also be up your street as a more every day drinking wine.

There may also be some Australian or North American wines for you - have a look for stuff made with Syrah/Shiraz (this is partly what Black Stump is made with so should be in line with what you like)

If you are looking for particular suggestions, posting your budget and preferences on TWS community will usually result in a big list of suggestions

Soldato
In an attempt to be sensible and reduce drinking, i've got a £20 off £100 Majestic wine voucher if anyone is interested in it?

Note it can only be redeemed for still wine

Not sure if it's linked to my account or not, if it doesnt work give me a shout and i'll share my login details :)

Soldato
Does anyone have membership with The Wine Society? They seem to get lots of recommendations over on r/wine.

I personally signed up last night, it's £40 for a lifetime membership, and you get £20 credit to spend with them for signing up. They also offer free delivery with no minimum spend.

If you do have a membership, is there anything in particular that you recommend? I've ordered a few of their own-label stuff to try.

Yes signed up just over a year ago.

I dread to think how much money I have spent on wine this last 12 months!

I just got a box of six reds £120. Although these were special bottles for gifts and Christmas.

I generally go for the sub £10 bottles and maybe a one-off £15 + bottle.

The Society's own labelled bottles are very good from what I have tried, their Rioja is great at £8.50. I often get that in all my orders.

For a white I can highly recommend the Society's White Rioja, for a red Vina Zorzal (Grenache) is very nice as well, the Vina is good for a BBQ on a summers day as its quite light.

This Zin, I tried recently was a real puncher, although its out of stock currently.

I like to explore a bit and try different wines, In my last order I purchased a red from Lebanon .

I have had a lot of orders in 12 months and I don't think I have had a wine I dislike yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Champagne and sparkling Christmas offers are up at the wine society.

Society's own is £126/6
Nytimber £144/6 or magnums £150/3
Gosset £192/6
Boizel £150/6

I've put some mags of nyetimber in reserves for now.

Associate
19 Crimes is a strange one for me. It's clever marketing for what appears to be substandard wine. The standard "Red Wine" is non descript. The "Uprising" I tried at the weekend was intensely sweet - so much that I looked up sugar content to see what extras had been added. To me its marketed towards people who don't like red wine - as strange as that sounds. Uprising was easy drinking and after half a bottle it went down well, very smooth. I see they are promoting a Snoop one too with...candied fruit pieces? :rolleyes:

Soldato
In my opinion, if it has Snoop on it then it absolutely should have weed in it.

The snoop one is excellent - First tried it in USA at my sister in laws, and then found it in Asda - hard to find but very enjoyable wine. Really nice.

Snoop/Marketing nonsense I don't care for - but it's a very decent red for the price

Soldato
OP
19 Crimes is a strange one for me. It's clever marketing for what appears to be substandard wine. The standard "Red Wine" is non descript. The "Uprising" I tried at the weekend was intensely sweet - so much that I looked up sugar content to see what extras had been added. To me its marketed towards people who don't like red wine - as strange as that sounds. Uprising was easy drinking and after half a bottle it went down well, very smooth. I see they are promoting a Snoop one too with...candied fruit pieces?
Completely agree

Soldato
Just had two bottles of Fleur Cardinale St Emillion Grand Cru Classe at the weekend. Family in law rated it as “excellent” and it seemed to disappear very quick! €37/bottle for special yearly occasion. Smooth as silk.

Also picked up a margaux at €21/bottle that seems to sell for €41 in the UK :eek: two for the wine cellar as my wine buddy has left his mrs (my mrs’s friend) so not likely to be welcome for a while yet..I noted that not many pomerol or decent names in the shops - perhaps they can’t get the discounts this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man. Decent champagne seems to have jumped hugely in price.

Accepted an offer on our house yesterday so thought I’d grab something decent to celebrate as we rarely drink nice champagne these days.

Had intended to buy the Ruinart bdb but couldn’t believe it’s now £80 a bottle. In my head it was always a £60 bottle.

Choice away from that at Majestic was fairly limited so ended up with the Ayala bdb for £60 which was enjoyable enough to feel like a treat.

Glimpsed at some bottles behind the counter and the premium champagnes all seemed around the £180 mark vs the £130 mark that the likes of Comtes

taB

taB

Associate
All up massively price wise combined with difficulty (artificially controlled in some cases) getting hold of.

For a mass produced wine Dom Perignon is a bugger to source at anything remotely sensible numbers currently.

Salon hovering around a grand a bottle plus tax...

Lots of other things I'd like to drink for these prices tbh.

Back
Top Bottom