***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
That page now says £19.

I got it from the wine shop, pretty sure it was £9.50. Could be that Vivino has picked up a slightly different vintage though given that price disparity.

@200sols, it's a weird one as the guy kept mentioning percentages when discussing wines as if it was the biggest factor in a wine. I quite like the strong wines though, my palette is fairly rubbish, and so the bigger bolder wines give me more to enjoy. Same with beers, i'll always favour a big 8% double IPA over a pale ale.

Soldato
I got it from the wine shop, pretty sure it was £9.50. Could be that Vivino has picked up a slightly different vintage though given that price disparity.

@200sols, it's a weird one as the guy kept mentioning percentages when discussing wines as if it was the biggest factor in a wine. I quite like the strong wines though, my palette is fairly rubbish, and so the bigger bolder wines give me more to enjoy. Same with beers, i'll always favour a big 8% double IPA over a pale ale.

It's interesting, a lot of the Rhone and now even Bordeaux wine is now big in alcohol levels, I don't seem to be able to handle too much of it I must be a lightweight :cry:

Soldato
I am looking for a "nice" Italian red wine as a gift for someone. Around £30/£40 ideally. I work in London so could pop in somewhere if there is any recommended retailers?

I don't have much to go on in terms of what they normally drink or their flavor palette but I get the impression just a generally considered good wine would be great!

Soldato
I am looking for a "nice" Italian red wine as a gift for someone. Around £30/£40 ideally. I work in London so could pop in somewhere if there is any recommended retailers?

I don't have much to go on in terms of what they normally drink or their flavor palette but I get the impression just a generally considered good wine would be great!
Instantly recognisable Italian wines would be Barolo, Amarone or Chianti, you could look at a Brunello if they really know their wine. BBR have a shop in London you'd certainly find something in there.

Soldato
Instantly recognisable Italian wines would be Barolo, Amarone or Chianti, you could look at a Brunello if they really know their wine. BBR have a shop in London you'd certainly find something in there.

Hedonism Wines is also very good from my limited knowledge of wine shops in London!

Personally i'm more of a southern Italian wine and so would go with this.

However i would probably go with @200sols above and aim for Barolo/Amarone for a gift.

Soldato

Hedonism Wines is also very good from my limited knowledge of wine shops in London!

Personally i'm more of a southern Italian wine and so would go with this.

However i would probably go with @200sols above and aim for Barolo/Amarone for a gift.
Thanks both, looks like both of those shops have a few Brunello and Barolo options in my price range, will try and get to one of them this week and see what I can find!

EDIT: Some of the ones I am looking at;

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been really enjoying a Bordeaux recently, which has led me to be eying up some glasses from Riedel. I love their Syrah glasses but I've been told my the other half that they off the table until we move house and that she'll almost certainly break one :(

Might have to have my own private glass :D

Soldato
I've been really enjoying a Bordeaux recently, which has led me to be eying up some glasses from Riedel. I love their Syrah glasses but I've been told my the other half that they off the table until we move house and that she'll almost certainly break one :(

Might have to have my own private glass :D

We went through a stage of breaking loads of glasses and ended up buying a pack of 12 from Costco that we hoped were made of sterner stuff. Since then we've hardly ever broken one!

Soldato
Yeah, i saw that when doing my shopping earlier. My issue is around restraint. We tend to only buy one bottle a week on the shopping, but then things like this come up and i think "well that's 6 weeks worth". However, what actually happens is we open wine on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday and so drink considerably more!

For anyone tempted, i've been a fan of this previously

Soldato
Had some sensational St Emilions from 2015 but I have really got into Super Tuscans this year. They have the IGT designation because they don't follow any DOCG rules. Sangiovese with Merlot and Cab Sauv! The monsters! Check out the Corte Medicea Atos 2015 for under £20... mind blown at the value.

e: got vintage year wrong

Soldato
On offer at Waitrose atm, £12.49 a bottle.

Decent price picked up 12 today.

On the recent 25% off I picked up some breaky bottom wines, I've tried both now and they are simply stunning. We'll worth the asking price and a bargain when on the offer. I'll be stocking up again on the next 25% off.

Back
Top Bottom