***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Decent price picked up 12 today.

On the recent 25% off I picked up some breaky bottom wines, I've tried both now and they are simply stunning. We'll worth the asking price and a bargain when on the offer. I'll be stocking up again on the next 25% off.

Oh wow, i never knew Waitrose stocked it. I've had their website bookmarked ever since someone mentioned them in here last year but never placed an order. Will definitely try and remember next time the deal is on.

Associate
Anyone got any good recommendations recently? Have been mainly buying to stock up the reserves and needing a few current drinking suggestions to try out

Associate
Does anyone have membership with The Wine Society? They seem to get lots of recommendations over on r/wine.

I personally signed up last night, it's £40 for a lifetime membership, and you get £20 credit to spend with them for signing up. They also offer free delivery with no minimum spend.

If you do have a membership, is there anything in particular that you recommend? I've ordered a few of their own-label stuff to try.

Soldato
Does anyone have membership with The Wine Society? They seem to get lots of recommendations over on r/wine.

I personally signed up last night, it's £40 for a lifetime membership, and you get £20 credit to spend with them for signing up. They also offer free delivery with no minimum spend.

If you do have a membership, is there anything in particular that you recommend? I've ordered a few of their own-label stuff to try.
I order most of my wine from them now, what styles do you like?

Good job ordering some of their own labels first, most of it is very good stuff.

Associate
We really like a good full-bodied red and a crisp sauvignon blanc.

Some of the typical bottles we keep in are from Laithwaites; Rex Mundi, Cabalie, Black Stump. I have some 62 in the rack too - which I know comes highly recommended in this thread.

To be honest though, I am completely open to suggestions. It's always good to try something new!

Associate
If you like full bodied reds then Amarone, Malbec, Northern Rhone or Brunello may be ones for you - various price points for each as well

Associate
Fantastic - will give them a look. Cheers mate

You may also want to join their community/forum - not quite GD, but good for finding out what is drinking well and for a heads up when bargains or in demand wines appear - apologies in advance for the impact on your pockets though

Associate
We really like a good full-bodied red and a crisp sauvignon blanc.

Some of the typical bottles we keep in are from Laithwaites; Rex Mundi, Cabalie, Black Stump. I have some 62 in the rack too - which I know comes highly recommended in this thread.

To be honest though, I am completely open to suggestions. It's always good to try something new!
You could lose many hours of your life browsing the Wine Society's wines, but here are a couple of reds that I really enjoy, and have ordered several times:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/weinert-carrascal-corte-tinto-mendoza-2018 - Great value, IMO. Not mega-tannic but not a jammy fruit-bomb either. I've not had a Weinert wine that I didn't enjoy. Out of stock but back in 10 days or so.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/koyle-cerro-basalto-alto-colchagua-2019-organic - Really interesting flavour. Full-bodied, and not quite like anything else I've tried.

Soldato
£40 and free delivery seems a great option. I'm usually put off ordering online due to the either high delivery costs or high minimum spends.

Good range of south Italitan wines too which is always appealing. We've just had a Majestic open up (today) about 2 miles away though. That's likely to prove risky.

Soldato
£40 and free delivery seems a great option. I'm usually put off ordering online due to the either high delivery costs or high minimum spends.

Good range of south Italitan wines too which is always appealing. We've just had a Majestic open up (today) about 2 miles away though. That's likely to prove risky.

Breaky bottom back at sub £25 at waitrose with the 25% off

Soldato
Breaky bottom back at sub £25 at waitrose with the 25% off

Oooh, will grab that. Thanks for the heads up.

Got a Wine 52 order this morning. They had a Puglia deal on a few months back which i grabbed and then i've deferred it for ages. Finally allowed another delivery as i like to try and at least pay for one at full price to offset the free box but will likely cancel after this.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you like full bodied reds then Amarone, Malbec, Northern Rhone or Brunello may be ones for you - various price points for each as well

I would also recommend Chateau Musar. It's from a vineyard in Lebanon and is a very nice full bodied red wine with a little oak influence. Only drawback is it's not cheap. I lucked out and was able to get a pretty large order on en primeur via the wine society a few years back (actually 9 years back !!!!) for the 2013. It's drinking window for this particular year goes up to 2031, i still have 2 full cases left in my members reserve, but I reckon they will get hammered at Christmas

here is a link to the write up blurb from wine society

My members reserve is primarilly full of Spanish reds (grew up on these being from Spanish family), however for my French offerings I usually go for a cotes du Rhone, Gigondas. Again got really lucky with an en primeur offer on this one https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/gigondas-la-gille-perrin-2020 , although delivery is not untill Spring 2023, but again drinking window is massive and goes up to 2032.

Not overly keen on white, however I am partial to a Gavi from piedmont and the Societies own offering is actually pretty decent and at a failry good price point for a Gavi at just under a tenner a bottle. Talking of piedmont, don't fogert about Barollo, probably my favourite non spanish red, but again price point is pretty eye watering unless you can get some bin ends or a bulk buy discount.

Back
Top Bottom