EKWB in trouble?

Soldato
When the 30 series blocks were released I was already on the fence with EK as their standards had been slipping (nickel flaking anyone) but the QC issues and massive price for that gen is what nailed it for me. I've got some EK fittings, but most of my kit is Optimus and Koolance now.

When they started wanting £300-400 for a gpu block, that was probably the last time i bought an ek gpu block from them. The Heatkiller gpu block im using far outperforms both performance and aesthetics imo and costs have the money. It's bonkers and probably trying it on after seeing what people would pay for a gpu during the dry season.

Soldato
The Igor's lab post was interesting too, the 6 figure sum that they supposedly would pay to go to CEX is mind blowing. Surely that money would be best suited to paying off debts and not adding to it knowing full well some creators and vendors will come asking for money.

Soldato
I dunno too much about about it as I've always been air cooled, but they seem to be circling drain if Jay's too cents and gamers nexus are publicly slagging them off.

Whilst I have no direct experience I've always been aware of the EK brand as one of the go-too water cooling brands.

Bit of a shame really.

Soldato

Soldato
Bit of a shame indeed. Always been my first port of call for watercooling in the past, and I still use their 360mm AIO. Good products if a bit overpriced from the looks of it these days. Shame the management have effectively killed their own company out of greed and ineptitude, cant run a company on good products alone though. It will be a tough one to come back from. Both GN and JayzTwoCents are ripping into them. If it does go under I reckon someone will pick up the brand though.

Soldato
With Jay thats 100% true, he never says anything until someone else posts bad news first and then he is quick to jump on the bandwagon and will even spread misinformation.

I still find it comical how he got on his high horse about not using Asus or working with them ever again then as soon as his PC needed updating he went straight for the Asus board.

Soldato
I always wondered how long they'd last..

Whilst I have plenty of EK kit, and my last build was pretty much all new EK stuff (GPU/CPU blocks, FLT120 Res/D5 Pump, 2 x 360 EK Quantum Surface rads), I only bought this on aesthetics, the rads look a little neater and a tiny FLT120 pump/res combo allows for a very clean install.. but it was expensive, and all my cheaper builds were a mix.. I tend to like the EK pump/res combo's because they use Xylem D5s and never had any issues..

Their Nucleus CR360 Lux is probably the best AIO I have too (It's my backup AIO for when water cooling is being planned), the quality of the kit is outstanding, even though you know the parts are all basic AIO.. it was also quiet and can't fault the performance either.

IMO their downfall is mainly they've peddled the quality premium pricing too long, competition has overtaken them for quality, maybe not product mix, but ultimately buyers are more willing to go elsewhere for cheaper/better VFM or higher performance..

Associate
I hope someone buys them out and improves their operations as the last watercooled built I did was pretty much exclusively EK waterblocks and parts and whilst they could be a bit "plain" I preferred the look over most of the other brands.

Having said that, it's been years since I have done any sort of watercooling since it's got prohibitively expensive and doesn't really offer the same returns as it used to so I'm not entirely surprised they have been struggling but the report from GN is quite surprisng to how manic their operations have got.

Soldato
Shame really, Used EK for may years.
The current line of fittings are some of the best I've ever used. Never used their rads, prefer HardWear Labs.
Last D5 Pump Res combo I bought had one of the O-rings missing, glad I caught it early, as that could have been disasterous.

Soldato
I dunno too much about about it as I've always been air cooled, but they seem to be circling drain if Jay's too cents and gamers nexus are publicly slagging them off.

Whilst I have no direct experience I've always been aware of the EK brand as one of the go-too water cooling brands.

Bit of a shame really.

Jay just likes to complain about anything. Do yourself a favour and unsubscribe

Associate
Bykski are killing them! Half the price and better.
I've fitted 2, 7900xtx on MBA cards and they are performing amazingly well.

Also when you've got Alphacool who will actually make you a GPU block if its not already been done. Then goes to mass market production for that particular AIB model.

After owning a variety of EKWB GPU/CPU Blocks over the years and for most very happy with the purchases, I was blown away by the quality of the waterblock I recived from Alpahcool for my 7900XTX.

Soldato
When you get to nearing £1000 for a full loop, CPU, GPU, Pump, Res, tubing and fittings then in my opinion it’s gone way past diminishing returns. You could probably get a 420aio and then the next cpu up in the range for half the price a full loop would cost. Yes it wouldn’t look as fancy but the cooling wouldn’t be far out.

Soldato
With the introduction(or rather flooding) of cheap and effective Air coolers for CPUs and GPUS having reasonably good coolers on top, I have decided to use air coolers. It was a hobby, but got out of hand quick when EK asked for £250 for the 3080FE.

Soldato
When you get to nearing £1000 for a full loop, CPU, GPU, Pump, Res, tubing and fittings then in my opinion it’s gone way past diminishing returns. You could probably get a 420aio and then the next cpu up in the range for half the price a full loop would cost. Yes it wouldn’t look as fancy but the cooling wouldn’t be far out.

Usually with watercooling, it's more or less a one time investment which you can then reuse for the next build. It's quite a flexible system if you know how to maximise its ability. But i do agree with you, AIO's have come a long way to the point where the market is just saturated with them. I'm surprised not more AIO makers have gone bust tbh.

Soldato
With the introduction(or rather flooding) of cheap and effective Air coolers for CPUs and GPUS having reasonably good coolers on top, I have decided to use air coolers. It was a hobby, but got out of hand quick when EK asked for £250 for the 3080FE.

That was just for the chip side, if you wanted a active backplate it would be another £150. 3090 FE owners got rinsed.

Back
Top Bottom