EKWB in trouble?

Soldato
For me, they have totally priced themselves out of my consideration, whereas I used to almost exclusively buy their parts, but being 2-4 times the price for no real benefit means they can go in the bin.

Soldato

Associate
Also when you've got Alphacool who will actually make you a GPU block if its not already been done. Then goes to mass market production for that particular AIB model.

After owning a variety of EKWB GPU/CPU Blocks over the years and for most very happy with the purchases, I was blown away by the quality of the waterblock I recived from Alpahcool for my 7900XTX.
I had a very bad experience with Alphacool and the Radeon VII block. The flow is the wrong way on there blocks currently. What temps are you managing with your block currently? A user in the owners page was having a poor experience with his alphacool block.

Soldato
They're Slovenian.

I didn't get a choice on my EK GPU block, but everything else has been AquaComputer for a long while. So glad I made that move!!

My mistake!

I used to like AquaComputer's blocks and used a few in the past but then they went a bit weird, their other kit is excellent though. I have an EK Velocity2 CPU block and it performs admirably but Watercool make the best GPU waterblock imo (I'm biased, see sig ;)).

As for will EK recover from this who knows, however the irony of their assets being illiquid is not lost.

Associate
Jay just likes to complain about anything. Do yourself a favour and unsubscribe

Yeah I went off him over time, ended up being frustrated with a lot of his reasoning or apparent brand loyalty that a reviewer shouldn't really have, at least not to that extent. I may have imagined it, but I also suppose wearing it on his sleeve is better than hiding it.

I also don't really think he's all that knowledgeable :p.

Soldato
Yeah I went off him over time, ended up being frustrated with a lot of his reasoning or apparent brand loyalty that a reviewer shouldn't really have, at least not to that extent. I may have imagined it, but I also suppose wearing it on his sleeve is better than hiding it.

I also don't really think he's all that knowledgeable :p.

I unsubscribed when he moaned about not having an AMD review sample for some CPU.

Associate
My order of trust(from best to worst) in WC parts after ~20 years of watercooling is mostly:
Watercool -> Aquacomputer -> Bitspower -> Optimus -> Bykski/Barrow -> EK -> Alphacool -> Thermaltake
So EK is pretty average, but almost the most expensive of them all.
Still be kinda shame losing them, as the ones better than them(apart from Bykski) are slow as f... in releasing GPU Waterblocks.

Caporegime
With the introduction(or rather flooding) of cheap and effective Air coolers for CPUs and GPUS having reasonably good coolers on top, I have decided to use air coolers. It was a hobby, but got out of hand quick when EK asked for £250 for the 3080FE.
Yup watercooling has generally priced itself into a niche that is never going to massively profitable.

AIO on the CPU is about £70/FE GPU with a big cooler is cheaper than AIB and you're pretty sweet these days. No maintenance or faff at upgrade time.

Given overclocking is pretty limited too I don't miss custom WC at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whos excited for the big discount sale. As if the report are true and potentially sitting on Millions of stock. Then the quickest way to get cash flow in the bad media will be to offer significant discounts

Maybe a 3080 block with intentionally mismatched backplate will go as low as £150 in the fire sale!!! Woohoo!! Take my money!!

Associate
What's been happening with ek has been pretty nuts so but considering how much they charge for water blocks now as mentioned by GN. I was actually planning on using ek blocks But when I saw the prices of current blocks I think I'll be sticking to what I have for now.. I remember the days when GPU blocks were £80 to £100, At least I think that's how much I paid for the last gpu I water cooled...

Last edited:
Soldato
What's been happening with ek has been pretty nuts so but considering how much they charge for water blocks now as mentioned by GN. I was actually planning on using ek blocks But when I saw the prices of current blocks I think I'll be sticking to what I have for now.. I remember the days when GPU blocks were £80 to £100, At least I think that's how much I paid for the last gpu I water cooled...

i paid £75 for a 3090 block. EK wanted £200 but TBF is did look nice just not that nice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom