VARcical Decision

Man of Honour
Refs getting 'relegated' makes me wonder a bit how appropriate it is, I mean if someone is deemed not good/consistent enough as an official then why should the Championship have to suffer them?
That said, I appreciate there isn't an infinite pool of perfect refs so he might still be better than the alternative and it needs some sort of hierarchy.

Soldato
If any ref is consistently making mistakes like any job they should be fired not just moved to a lower league as that’s unfair on that league/teams

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thats not quite how most jobs work. There are levels in almost every career and job and people have to be below a certain level to not be able to operate in that field at all. Why are some referees only in the Championship or League 2? Bad luck or are they not quite up to the same level as PL refs?

Refereeing is clearly a very challenging job. We give footballers all the leeway in the world. "Oh hes probably having some mental health issues", "Oh the manager isn't treating him right" or "He isn't the right player in the system" etc. Referees are held to completely different standards. I agree that they are falling short in some areas but dear lord people are making out like its an easy job with little pressure and referees used to be brilliant and have inexplicably gone down a few levels.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a blatant foul so not quite....
Was it? Would a penalty be given if the situation was reversed, 99 times out of 100 no referee is giving that as a penalty so why should it be a foul the other way.
When I saw it live at the game my initial reaction was it could go either way and I did say that, but the more I see it from other angles the defender was just being soft and was already leaning forward to glance the ball over.

Soldato
It's a free kick all the time out of the box. A gentle nudge is usually enough when people are going for a high ball. I've seen much weaker challenges penalised multiple times since.

Soldato
It's not blatant though is it? Thats the whole point and why it has rumbled on so long. After all of the drama and emotion professional match officials cannot, even now, deduce from that footage that it was a clear enough foul to overturn the on field decision.
Everyone should watch that video, its really good imo. (There's only a little bit of Michael Owen in it.). In fact having watched it again, Gabriel probably did himself over tbh doing that delayed forward leap thing after the initial contact.

You may not all like the decision but it's an example of why VAR was brought into the game and it being implemented properly. They have performed absolutely spot on if you watch and listen to the audio. Add to that the referee's communication to and fro in that atmosphere and being crowded by players and I think you have to say fair play, they've done a good job.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3785301

I presume this is what Whoppy posted above, as I can't see twitter links.

Soldato
It's a free kick all the time out of the box. A gentle nudge is usually enough when people are going for a high ball. I've seen much weaker challenges penalised multiple times since.
You heard the refs. Went down like a big girls blouse. Not enough force to send he flying like that. If he hadn’t have dived he probably could have cleared it.

Soldato
Nice way to side step the question, so I will ask again if it was reversed and that push was on the attacker would you have been ok with a penalty being given in that situation?

Soldato
A 2 handed push in the back when contesting the ball in the air is always a free kick so yes. It's the same when i played Sunday's, Saturday's and even in my vets league i play in currently.

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder how long it will take for them to mandate that all VAR decisions will take at least 30 seconds, so that TV companies can put adverts into those 30 seconds.

Soldato
It kind of makes sense to have VAR for more issues. For example, if a player is sent of in the 98th minute, it's unlikely to affect the outcome of the match. But a wrongly given corner in the 98th minute may well do. So why, in that situation, should the corner not be reviewed?

My preference is still only to use VAR for things which are not/should not be subjective (i.e. offsides). But if this is the way things are going, then everything should be open to review, but each side should be given a maximum of three per match.

Caporegime
Makes sense for corners etc if they can make quick decisions. You can say that on average it should balance out in terms of corners given that shouldn't have been and corners not given that should have. However, it doesn't work that way and in some matches you have teams that could have had 3 extra corners if the right decisions had been made and set pieces are the biggest threat for some teams.

I wouldn't want to see it implemented if it was another 30 seconds to 1 minute of work to do the check though. If we want to make the game fairer, then non-subjective decisions need to be called the right way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom