VARcical Decision

Caporegime
LMAO the justification for not giving Young a second yellow

The referee obviously thought it was careless. It possibly is a second yellow card, but I would not say it is guaranteed and the one thing I would say is to go from a dive for one player to a red card to another is quite a spectrum to travel.

I just wonder, has the referee made that much of an error?
So a yellow card for the dive would have been fine but a yellow card for the foul is too extreme. They can change small ref errors but huge errors are too big of a spectrum to fix :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
usually is when it happens with a chance on goal though
Nope, off the top of my head 2 of the 3 pens we've got this season in the pl were for fouls in the box, Brighton and West Ham - the Brighton player got a yellow as arguably it was a red card offence and against West Ham no yellow was issued.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It works well in the Champions League and should lead to much better and faster decision making. No doubt some referees will hate it with a passion as their biases are being taken out of the game.

Soldato
Speaking of VAR officials, seems the Turkish FA have appointed foreign officials until the end of the season due to bias their own guys hold - 100% needs to something similar in the PL, a complete separation of the PGMOL so they are unable to have match day refs and the same pool of refs for VAR duties. Funnily enough they werent interested in Premier League referees, I wonder why...

Soldato
Thank god for that

Unfortunately, because we have such terrible VAR officials, they will still no doubt feel the need to spend 5 minutes checking the automated decision and completely defeat the purpose of it.
Surely ai and computers can do it down to the pixel level in a second or two? Var really is awful

fez

fez

Caporegime
'Oversight'

Makes perfect sense when these are the same refs going on extremely well paid jollies to referee in oil state countries. 115 get 3 or 4 of these oversights every season.

Hmm. I'm personally not convinced they are corrupt, just bad at their job and fantastically inconsistent. I wonder how much disagreement you would get on these decisions if you put 10 VAR refs in a room.

They didn't give that penalty when Grealish had plenty of time to see the ball and appears to move his arm towards the ball (hard to tell, he may have moved it back after the ball has struck it) but AwB gives away a penalty trying to move his arm out of the way when they ball has come from much closer. Again, these are subjective decisions but I would say fairly objectively that out of the two, the Grealish one was far further along the scale of subjective handballs and yet its not given.

Soldato
Agreed, I'm cynical by nature and I don't think they are corrupt, they are just doing a difficult job, under incredible scrutiny and of course, they aren't performing to the standards expected, probably because of the additional scrutiny.

Reactions: fez
Back
Top Bottom