Varjo Aero

Associate
does that demo I posted play at a really low resolution for you?
I've reinstalled windows. I've deleted my entire steam game library etc just to make sure it wasn't any stray files from my Reverb install.
Hellblade also does it. It seems to change the entire SteamVR menu/background screen to a low res. Very strange. Worked fine on the Crystal a few weeks back.

Man of Honour
does that demo I posted play at a really low resolution for you?
I've reinstalled windows. I've deleted my entire steam game library etc just to make sure it wasn't any stray files from my Reverb install.
Hellblade also does it. It seems to change the entire SteamVR menu/background screen to a low res. Very strange. Worked fine on the Crystal a few weeks back.
it does even with everything maxxed out it looks crap :s

Associate
Finally recieved shipping notice for mine.
Think there must have been a glut of orders after the xr-4 was released adding delays. Should get it before chrimbo though

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I swear this Aero gets better the more you use it! I just did a night race in iracing I was fully immersed I nearly flinched a couple of times once it’s dialled in and you get used to it it’s amazing

Associate
A discovery. Sorry if you already knew this.
Setting the PPD in Varjo Base puts a limit on the highest resolution the headset renders.
I realised this when I was playing Radial-G and noticing the cockpit didn't look as sharp as on the Crystal, even with the same resolution setting. (I was running 35PPD)
I increased the PPD to 39PPD while keeping the same resolution I was running with 35PPD and it looked much sharper and actually as good as the Crystal. (but the Crystal runs better at that resolution?)
So lower PPD settings won't allow SteamVR rendering resolution to go higher than it even though it's chewing up more FPS. Best to run at 39PPD and lower the resolution down rather than run low and increase.
weird that

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah it's one thing that takes a bit of getting used to as there are essentially two resolutions that need to be set I find setting highest in the Varjo base software, along with capping at 45fps, then in the steam VR app changing the resolution in the settings to the best for the gpu, generally for me seems to be around 70-90 and still looks great. I also set motion smoothing on if the app supports it.

Associate
Yeah , strange way of doing it. Must have something to do with lower end GPU's not having the memory/bandwidth for the higher resolutions or something.
It's like having a 4k monitor, setting your windows resolution to 1080p and the game to render at 4k but windows downscales the game to 1080p and then upscales the 1080p image back to the 4k monitor resolution.

Last edited:
Associate
Aero arrived today - been pretty impressed with it so far. The fov is not such a big a deal as i thought it would be.

The motion blur when moving your head around is something i was not expecting - seems to be quite a bit of discussion about it on the varjo discord.
Is this something that you just get used to?

Associate
The motion blur when moving your head around is something i was not expecting - seems to be quite a bit of discussion about it on the varjo discord.
Is this something that you just get used to?
I don't notice it at all. Must be something with variance in each headset?
Are you sure it isn't something which just occurs when you turn the headset on from cold? My reverb has severe blur from cold but it fades after about 5 minutes.

Associate
I don't notice it at all. Must be something with variance in each headset?
Are you sure it isn't something which just occurs when you turn the headset on from cold? My reverb has severe blur from cold but it fades after about 5 minutes.
I think it is something that i am sensitive to. When you move your head and focus on the same point it blurs ever so slightly - predominanlty text. I think part of the issue the clarity is so high.

Having tried my index again a similar thing happens but i do not think i noticed it as the clarity outside the centre is quite bad that i must have been moving my head and eyes all the time. I think it is something i will get used to.

Edit apparently varjo have confirmed it is a limitation of the screens and there is no fix incoming.

Ps can you move the desktop display in varjo home- i could not see a view reset

Last edited:
Man of Honour
it's very quiet in here! everyone happy with their Aeros?

im enjoying mine more and more since dialling it in i got a HOTAS for chrimbo too so ive been playing a bit of DCS and microsoft flight simulator flying around it's pretty amazing in the Aero

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm still very happy with mine, not had any issues, some software\games but these are only minor issues likely down to updates etc. The only slightly negative thing is sometimes some stutter or jitter but not sure what this is related to, probably game performance

Back
Top Bottom