Varjo Aero

Associate
"Quiet" normally means happy when it comes to forums.:D
Overall I am pretty happy with the aero having got past the motion blur at the start.
The increase fidelity in sims like dcs/iracing has been fantastic. Particularly spotting/ instrument reading in dcs is much better.
The software has been super easy to use and setting up eye tracking dfr for those games that support it has also been pretty easy.
Comfort wise i have found it a little more uncomfortable than the index and will be investing in the aftermarket straps/counterweight.

Given the recent update on the status of the vr1 i am happy that i went with the aero

Associate
The Varjo Aero no longer available to purchase and showing as "Varjo Aero is no longer available. Limited quantities might be available at selected Varjo resellers."?

What happened to the "no plans to replace it" with the XR4 reveal interview.

Man of Honour
The Varjo Aero no longer available to purchase and showing as "Varjo Aero is no longer available. Limited quantities might be available at selected Varjo resellers."?

What happened to the "no plans to replace it" with the XR4 reveal interview.
Glad i got one when I did then! i love it and wouldn't be able to afford the next iteration anyhow

Associate
OP
That's annoying, it will still work and hopefully the base software still has support, but obviously any software improvements won't happen after that. Still very happy with mine and think it's a great device for me.

Associate
tbh i'll probably have bought a new headset by the end of 2025 so still a few years to enjoy the Aero at least
Yeah - its not gonna break jan 2026. If i get 3 years out of it i will be happy.

I think the way they have done it is a bit shystery

Last edited:
Associate
yeah they could have waited a while as im guessing a lot of people just bought them as did I at the lower price, it's their loss i'll probably never but another Varjo in my life though :S
Also not great for consumer confidence for all higher priced headsets. Gonna be much more wary about investing large sums of cash in these smaller vr companies

Associate
Varjo stated the software won't be updated end of '25 but the servers required to log in will be kept on and that the headset will still work fine, just as the XR1 still works fine today and that's a much older headset which had its EOL years ago.
I think the main issue are if Windows or SteamVR updates to something incompatible after end of '25 or they shut down the servers causing everyone to have a doormat

Last edited:
Associate
Varjo stated the software won't be updated end of '25 but the servers required to log in will be kept on and that the headset will still work fine, just as the XR1 still works fine today and that's a much older headset which had its EOL years ago.
I think the main issue are if Windows or SteamVR updates to something incompatible after end of '25 or they shut down the servers causing everyone to have a doormat
I am reasonably confident that it will be alright in the end. As you say xr1 is still going.
If i get 3 years out of it then i will be happy. By then things will have moved on techwise anyway

Associate
OP
Also look at some of the things the community do such as euvr and who knows what will come along. Ideally I would like them to really push stability and performance for the next couple of years

Associate
earlier today I tried plugging my PSVR2 into the Varjo breakout box USB C socket... and it worked.
Windows had it as a 1080p screen, 144hz with audio and head tracking. I could see the desktop and run games as if I was looking at a monitor in the headset.
If they kill the Aero I hope it's just in time to get the PSVR2 drivers on PC working.
StTrvhf

Last edited:
Associate
New Varjo base 4.2 update has dropped.

Edit: Don't bother updating. They didn't implement redshift fix and broke the current fix. I think the Aero has been forgotten.
Chromatic Aberration is bad and I can't return back to the old version as I think it's updated the headset firmware so I get a Eye tracking not found when I run the older version of Varjo Base. Well done Varjo.

Edit2: Managed to get the old version running again. Uninstall, restart PC, re-install and then reset all settings in Varjo Base to start the initial setup. Otherwise you'll get a error on the screen saying "eye tracking not found - contact support"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
New Varjo base 4.2 update has dropped.

Edit: Don't bother updating. They didn't implement redshift fix and broke the current fix. I think the Aero has been forgotten.
Chromatic Aberration is bad and I can't return back to the old version as I think it's updated the headset firmware so I get a Eye tracking not found when I run the older version of Varjo Base. Well done Varjo.

Edit2: Managed to get the old version running again. Uninstall, restart PC, re-install and then reset all settings in Varjo Base to start the initial setup. Otherwise you'll get a error on the screen saying "eye tracking not found - contact support"
i had the same "no eye tracking found" had to reset also nearly pooped myself :cry:

Associate
Are you now running 4.2 then Chris? Don't you find the chromatic aberration to be much worse, the red shift pretty bad etc?
I didn't notice any change with functionality or any fps differences going from 3.1 to 4.2. But the install went from 1GB to 2GB?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
no I rolled back I only upgraded to see if it'd fix F1 23 which it didn't :cry:

i never really played it with 4.2 but i did notice the redshift :S and yes the install size doubled? i guess us Aero users are now shafted with no useful updates to come :(

Back
Top Bottom